Amid a Title IX investigation into alleged sexual harassment involving members of the Dundee wrestling team, the district announced the team will soon be allowed to resume practicing.
A statement from Dundee Community Schools Superintendent Scott Leach on Thursday said the district approved off-season open mat workouts.
The wrestling season ended when the allegations surfaced. He added that it was a decision that was made after careful consideration and noted that most of the wrestling team wasn’t involved in the incident that sparked the investigation.
“It’s important to recognize that this situation does not represent the character of the vast majority of our students and student-athletes, who consistently uphold the values of integrity, sportsmanship, and honor,” Leach said in the statement.
Leach also said that two of the Title IX investigations are ongoing.
Read also: Discover the story of Casey Swiderski
What Due Process Rights Exist Under Title IX? - Sports Jobs
13 Action News reported last month that prosecutors are reviewing the facts of the case for possible criminal charges connected to the alleged assault and hazing situation by members of the Dundee High School wrestling team.
Details of the Alleged Assault
The alleged victim’s father told 13 Action News his son, who was a member of the wrestling team at Dundee High School, was sexually assaulted at a hotel during a wrestling tournament in Kalamazoo last year.
“They held my son down, ripped his pants off and tried to insert something in his rectum,” the father said.
“There was Snapchat group texts where like videos and pictures were taken of my son with his pants off after what had happened to him and it was dispersed throughout the entire team and nobody said a word.”
The alleged assault happened last year, but it wasn’t reported until this year over a fear of retaliation. The alleged victim’s father told 13 Action News at least three team members were involved.
Read also: Sectional Wrestling Tournament Details
Here is a summary of the key events:
| Event | Details |
|---|---|
| Alleged Assault | Occurred at a hotel during a wrestling tournament in Kalamazoo last year. |
| Nature of Assault | Victim held down, pants ripped off, and attempt to insert an object into rectum. |
| Evidence | Snapchat group texts with videos and pictures of the victim. |
| Reporting Delay | Reported this year due to fear of retaliation. |
| Involved Parties | At least three team members allegedly involved. |
Read also: The story of Angelo Posada