Frank Martin, nicknamed "The Ghost," has made a significant impact on the boxing world with his skill, athleticism, and determination. This article explores his boxing record, career highlights, and journey from amateur success to world title contention.
Early Life and Amateur Career
Frank Martin had a fighting spirit throughout his childhood in Detroit, channeling his aggression into wrestling and football. After moving to Fort Wayne, Indiana, at 17, Martin ventured into boxing while attending Homestead High School, where he played running back and competed in wrestling at 152 pounds.
“I had started wrestling in sixth grade and made it to states as a high school junior,” said Martin. “I was undefeated as a senior in wrestling before I broke out in infantigo during the middle of the year and my season ended prematurely.”
After moving in with his brother in Indianapolis, an 18-year-old Martin took boxing more seriously. He trained at the Sarge Johnson Boxing Center under coaches Pat McPherson, Ike Boyd, and his father, Frank. Martin lost in the semifinals of the National Golden Gloves in 2015, defeating Abraham Nova in the first round.
Martin returned to win the 2016 Golden Gloves Tournament of Champions at 141 pounds, flooring Virgil Ortiz during their title bout. “Going into the next year I was out to make sure I proved that my first round victory in 2015 wasn’t a fluke, and I was in an entirely different space, mentally,” said Martin, who went 52-6 as an amateur.
Read also: Cricket Legend: Frank Tyson
Martin’s nickname, “The Ghost,” was born from his preparation for the 2016 Golden Gloves. When the lights suddenly went out in the workout room, Martin found a way to continue his regimen in the dark, his shadow dancing against distant walls while other competitors had stopped training.
Professional Boxing Debut and Early Career (2017-2020)
Frank Martin made his professional boxing debut on October 7, 2017, at the Division Armory in Indianapolis, Indiana, where he secured a first-round technical knockout victory over John Edward Lockette at 1:40. This dominant performance set the tone for his early career in the lightweight division, showcasing his southpaw power and precision from the outset.
Throughout 2017 and 2018, Martin compiled an undefeated streak against regional opponents, winning all five of his bouts during this period. Notable victories included a unanimous decision over Darnell Pettis on December 16, 2017, in Indianapolis, followed by technical knockouts against Mundo Martinez in March 2018 and Terren Arrington in April 2018 in Detroit. He continued with a knockout of Kendrick Latchman in June 2018 in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and another technical knockout against Jermon Houck in July 2018 back in Detroit.
In 2019, Martin extended his record to 10-0 with four more wins, demonstrating improved stamina and tactical versatility. He defeated Efrain Cruz by unanimous decision in February in Detroit, followed by a technical knockout of Deshawn Debose in March in Indianapolis, a unanimous decision over Larry Ventus in June in Detroit, and a knockout of Pablo Cupul in August in Indianapolis.
Martin's 2020 campaign featured two victories, bringing his early professional tally to 12-0 with eight knockouts. He achieved a technical knockout against Reymond Yanong in February at Sam's Town Hotel & Gambling Hall in Las Vegas, marking his first fight on a larger card, and closed the year with a knockout of Tyrone Luckey in December at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Read also: Overview of the Frank Tyson Investigation
Rising Through the Ranks (2021-2023)
In 2021, Frank Martin continued his undefeated streak with two significant victories that showcased his growing prowess in the lightweight division. On April 20, he faced the previously unbeaten Jerry Perez in the main event of a Fox Sports 1 broadcast card. Martin won the fight by a seventh-round knockout, as he floored Perez with a looping left hook. Martin landed more than twice the amount of punches his opponent had, outlanding Perez 100 to 47. He won the WBA Inter-Continental lightweight title.
Later that year, on August 21, Martin outboxed veteran Ryan Kielczweski over 10 rounds on the undercard of Manny Pacquiao vs. Yordenis Ugás FOX Sports pay-per-view, which took place at the T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada. He won the fight by a dominant unanimous decision, with all three judges scoring every round of the bout for him.
Martin's momentum carried into 2022, where he delivered three stoppage wins against increasingly tough opposition, solidifying his reputation as an elusive counterpuncher. On January 1, he dismantled Romero Duno in four rounds on the undercard of Luis Ortiz vs. Charles Martin, scoring two knockdowns before a referee stoppage at 2:51 via TKO, bringing his knockout tally to 11. On July 9, during the co-feature to Mark Magsayo vs. Danny Roman Vargas, Martin twice dropped Jackson Marinez before forcing a stoppage in the 10th round with a right hook at 2:33, extending his record to 16-0 with 12 KOs.
The year 2023 marked Martin's arrival as a ranked contender, highlighted by a gritty performance in a world title eliminator. On July 15, he edged out Olympic bronze medalist Artem Harutyunyan via unanimous decision (115-112, 115-112, 116-111) over 12 rounds in a WBC lightweight title eliminator bout on SHOWTIME, rallying late to score a knockdown in the 12th and maintaining his unblemished record at 18-0 (12 KOs). This victory propelled him into the top 10 of major sanctioning bodies' lightweight rankings, including No. 7 by the IBF and No. 8 by ESPN. Throughout this period, Martin's exposure grew through high-profile Premier Boxing Champions events broadcast on networks like FOX, FS1, and SHOWTIME, drawing attention to his slick, evasive style.
First World Title Opportunity and Recent Career (2024-2025)
On June 15, 2024, Frank Martin stepped up for his first world title opportunity, challenging Gervonta "Tank" Davis for the WBA lightweight championship at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Entering the bout with an undefeated professional record, Martin displayed early competitiveness, using his southpaw stance and quick combinations to outbox Davis over the first four to five rounds. However, Davis' experience proved to be the difference as he wore Martin down and stopped him in the eighth round.
Read also: Frank & Steve Williams: A Wrestling Story
The defeat marked Martin's first professional loss, adjusting his record to 18-1 with 12 knockouts. Despite the stoppage, Martin's resilience was widely noted, as he absorbed significant punishment while maintaining defensive poise and landing counters against an elite opponent. Davis himself acknowledged Martin's effort post-fight, stating, "Frank Martin was a great fighter. He put up a good four to five rounds."
In a key 2025 development, Martin is set to rebound on December 6, 2025, facing former two-division world champion Rances Barthelemy in a scheduled 10-round super lightweight bout at the Frost Bank Center in San Antonio, Texas. This matchup represents Martin's transition to the 140-pound division, positioning him for a potential re-entry into title contention while leveraging his experience against high-caliber opposition. Martin delivered a highlight-reel one-punch KO of two-division champion Rances Barthelemy (30-4-1, 15 KOs) in round four atop a three-fight PBC on Prime card prior to the PBC PPV.
Frank Martin's Key Statistics
As of November 2025, Frank Martin maintains a professional boxing record of 18-1 (12 KOs), with a knockout ratio of 66.67%.
Here's a summary table of Frank Martin's key statistics:
| Statistic | Value |
|---|---|
| Record | 18-1 (12 KOs) |
| Knockout Ratio | 66.67% |
| Height | 5' 8" (173 cm) |
| Reach | 68.1 inches (173 cm) |
| Stance | Southpaw |
Frank Martin's journey in boxing is a testament to his dedication, skill, and resilience. From his amateur days to his professional career, he has consistently demonstrated the qualities of a top-tier fighter. As he moves forward, boxing fans eagerly anticipate his future performances and potential title opportunities.